Saturday, July 30, 2011

Leadership Management

I realised, although this semester's modules were rather heavy, somehow or rather, I've enjoyed myself in a couple of lectures. For example, Ethics and Leadership. Hmmm, I have yet to find joy in Organisational Theory and Investments.. Perhaps they are just too dry or rather, I have yet to relate them with real life situations...

Well, I pretty much like Leadership's lectures, perhaps because I was once a leader and now an 'outsider' looking at how the co committee is run. It sometimes set me thinking and relating theories to these real life practices.

I had no idea if I was a good/bad leader, or maybe just an average one I guess. However sometimes I regretted taking too much of the 'back seat'. Perhaps the position would have been more meaningful if I have taken more initiative and if I have done more for the group. But well, it's over and I guess what I can do now is to keep this lesson in mind.

During lesson, I have learnt that, in an event of failure, one should adopt different perspectives in facing this challenge. Well, an example would be during the global financial crisis, everyone looked into what went wrong and hoped that these factors would be prevented in the future so that history doesn't repeats itself. However, little companies have looked into what did other companies did well in order to survive through this period. Likewise, when a problem occurred during an event, we would try to pinpoint what went wrong and whose fault is it, which is often negative. Instead of just identifying one's weaknesses, we should evaluate what are his/her strengths and what did he/she did well. Although the other members of the committee did not contribute to the problem directly, what could they do in order to overturn the situation? Always, the fault lies in just the 1 or 2 person who's in charge, but I believe that in a group, it should be an 'one for all, all for one' situation. In a team of individuals with power dominance, we should complement each other strengths instead of clashing them together. How so? I'm not too sure. Perhaps with more interaction? But one thing for sure, communication is the stepping stone to success. Not just communication, but constant communication.

Communication, a word which does not only tell you HOW to do it, but WHY you are doing so. However, CONSTANT communication is vital in order to succeed. A leader should not only tell his/her members what to do, how to do, why you should do, but also communicate to check if the person understands his job, and to check if the person has done the right things in the right way.

Communication, a word which looks simple, but difficult to do it in the best way. Sometimes ideas would be communicated wrongly and often that's the case, and that's how conflict arises. Well, that's why I prefer face to face interaction instead of the virtual world (you won't know how the person looked/sounded like when talking about a particular topic). Even face-to-face might result in communication breakdown, what's more in a virtual platform? Whatever it is, always think through what you are going to say instead of just blabbering out what came to your mind first. It's really a way to prevent conflicts.

Oh well, blogged here so that I would remember yesterday's lecture. Felt that it is very meaningful and very true and is definitely a lesson which I want to remember for life. =)

No comments: